1/4 cup light butter, softened
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup Splenda*
1/2 cup lowfat milk
3 tbsp. half and half cream
2 tsp. coconut extract
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1-1/3 cups flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
2 tbsp. light butter
3 tbsp. packed brown sugar
1 tbsp. water
2/3 cup shredded sweetened coconut, divided
1/2 carton fat free or light Cool Whip
1. Preheat oven to 350º. Spread 1/3 cup coconut on a baking sheet and lightly toast in the preheated oven for a few minutes, until lightly browned.
2. In a mixing bowl, beat together 1/4 cup light butter, 1/3 cup sugar and Splenda until light and fluffy. Beat in milk, cream, egg, coconut extract and vanilla extract.
3. In another bowl sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Add to butter mixture and mix until well blended, about one minute. Stir in remaining coconut.
4. Melt butter in a nonstick 9-inch round cake pan. Stir in brown sugar and 1 tablespoon water. Sprinkle toasted coconut over top of sugar mixture. Pour cake batter into pan.
5. Bake at 350º for 30 minutes or until cake tests done. Cool in pan for 5 minutes. Loosen sides; invert onto a plate. Let cool completely. Carefully slice cake in half horizontally to make two thin halves. Spread Cool Whip over bottom half; replace top half and lightly press onto whipped topping. Yield: 8 servings.
*Useful Tip: If you choose to not use the Splenda use sugar instead.