Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Hearty Split Pea Soup

In my quest for a hearty homemade split pea soup, I came up with this delicious recipe. This has excellent flavor and consistency, and is easily adaptable to personal tastes. When I have leftover ham or Canadian bacon I throw some of that in the pot, too. (Tonight I used chopped Canadian bacon and bacon bits).


1 package (16 ounces) dry, green split peas

4 cups water

2 cups chicken broth

1/4 cup real smoked bacon bits

1 large potato, peeled and diced

2 medium carrots, peeled and sliced

1 large celery stalk, sliced (leafy top included)

1 small onion, chopped

2 tsp. chicken bouillon

1 tsp. salt

1/2 tsp. pepper

1/2 tsp. onion powder

1/2 tsp. garlic powder

1/4 tsp. dry thyme leaves

1/4 tsp. dry marjoram


1. Rinse split peas in cold water. Combine all ingredients in a Dutch oven or large sauce pan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cover. Simmer, stirring occasionally, 1-1/2 hours. Reseason to taste if necessary. Yield: 6 servings.

2 comments:

  1. I'm going to try this soon. My daughter came home from class today talking about Split Pea & Ham soup.

    Love your cup. It's so cute & reminds me of Christmas candys.

    ReplyDelete