Search This Blog

Sunday, August 29, 2010

Grilling and Baking

Today is a fall like day yet I have some steaks marinating for the grill later. Normally I'd be itching to make a hearty stew or casserole on a cooler day like this. But, I'm one of those people who will grill year round, rain or shine, snow or hail. (Well, I might draw the line at dodging hail bullets just to sear the perfect grill marks, but you get the picture). Grilling is one of my favorite methods of cooking, and even better is that Casey is a master griller and often does the outdoor cooking. It's not unusual for me to do all of the prep work and make the sides, then chill with some wine by the grill as he cooks the main dish. It's our form of cooking together, and not only is it good bonding time, it really is a lot of fun. And I'm okay giving up the title Queen Griller to uphold the King Griller's delicious skills.

Since it is cooler and a bit overcast I'm going to do something more traditional of this weather and bake something. There are still some ripe blackberries ready to be picked out back that would make great Blackberry Shortcakes for dessert. Just like Strawberry Shortcakes, just substitute blackberries. Because I'm using blackberries instead of strawberries I'd adjust the spices just a tad and add a bit of cinnamon and nutmeg to the shortcake dough. Not only do those spices accent blackberries well, they'll really make the house smell like fall around here! Fall is my favorite season and I'm ready to welcome it in.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Steph! Remember me? AMOM Pam from Moms Online? Can you believe that was 10+ years ago? So good to catch up with you again. I have missed your recipes! I saved many of them on my computer(s) through the years and still use them regularly. 3-cheese chicken enchiladas, cheddar chicken pot pie. And your mac and cheese - yum!!! I have made many friends and family memebrs very happy with that mac and cheese!
    Hope all is well with you! Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, of course I remember Pam! How wonderful to "see" you!! I look forward to seeing you around here and catching up. =)

    ReplyDelete